CBD Skin Care with CBD Botanicals: A Complete Guide
Skin is the largest organ in your body – and one of the most visible. Your skin is subjected to all kinds of stresses throughout your life, from weather, pollutants, hormones, sun exposure, and the natural aging process. So, it’s not surprising that it needs a little TLC to look and feel its best.
That’s why cbdMD has created cbdMD Botanicals, our special line of CBD skin care products. Combined with other high-quality ingredients, CBD can bring that extra nurturance your skin needs to stay soft and radiant.
In this guide, we'll explain how CBD can help your skin and give you an overview of our full line of products. We’ll explain how you can build a daily and weekly routine with the different products for complete face and body care. Then you’ll be ready to pick out which ones work best for your skin type and lifestyle.
Why Use CBD for Skin Care?
To understand how CBD can function in skin care, you need to know how it interacts with your body.
The Endocannabinoid System
Elsewhere on this blog, we’ve explained that CBD interacts with your endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is involved in many different bodily functions, but overall it supports homeostasis: the balance your body maintains in the face of various environmental pressures.
Topical CBD Benefits
When you take CBD internally, this can help you feel calm and relaxed. But your skin has endocannabinoid receptors too, which can interact with topical CBD products in more targeted ways.
Research into the benefits of topical CBD is still ongoing, but many users find that it’s as calming and balancing for skin as for everywhere else. We’ve already successfully combined CBD with pain medicines to make extra-soothing topical products, so why not harmonize it with the best of skin care?
The Best CBD Skin Care Products
By combining CBD with other ingredients skin loves, the benefits of CBD for skin care are even greater. We’ll be discussing some of these ingredients in depth in upcoming posts. But the key point for cbdMD Botanicals is that we keep it natural – no harsh chemicals, artificial perfumes, or dyes. Better yet, all of our products are cruelty-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO. That way, we ensure that all our CBD skin care products are designed to prioritize the health of both you and the planet.
Each of our bath, body, and facial skin care products contains Superior Broad Spectrum CBD, with also has other phytocannabinoids such as CBG and CBN, along with terpenes from the hemp plant, to bring the benefit of CBD (and other beneficial hemp derivatives) to your everyday skin care routine.
How to Build a CBD Skin Care Routine
While we do have a few products for the body, most of our CBD beauty products are for the face. For your face, we recommend a twice-daily routine – every morning and evening – following a sequence like this:
Cleanse Your Face
Start your routine with a facial cleanser of your choice. We recommend:
- Creamy Cleanser – Gentle facial cleanser suitable for all skin types, even sensitive ones. Made with coconut-derived coco glucoside for gentle cleansing, and sunflower oil, and shea butter to protect skin from drying. Sulfate-free.
- Exfoliating Facial Cleanser – Facial exfoliating cleanser made with sugar extract, which contains alpha hydroxy acids that dissolve dead skin cells, sunflower oil for hydration and tightening pores, and vitamins and antioxidants (lemon, orange, and apple extracts) for the gentle exfoliation that keeps your skin bright and luminous. Use once or twice weekly.
Nourish with Special CBD Products
These special care products are for use after the cleanser and before the moisturizer. They go in this order:
- Mask (once or twice weekly)
- Toner (daily, after cleansing)
- Facial serums (Daily, after cleansing & toning. Allow this to absorb before applying facial oils.)
- Facial oils (Daily, after all, other special care products and followed by moisturizer. It helps to allow the facial oils some time to absorb before applying moisturizers.)
Once your face is clean, it’s primed to receive some extra nutrition. We’ve got five special formulas to keep your skin glowing: two masks, a toner, a Facial Serum, and a Facial Oil.
- Exfoliating Face Mask – A weekly or bi-weekly face mask that exfoliates the skin to keep it glowing and refreshed. Salicylic acid peels off dead skin, exfoliates, and flushes pores. Fennel oil soothes and hydrates with a refreshing herbal scent. Moroccan rose oil exfoliates while moisturizing.
- Rose Clay Mask – Deeply hydrating face mask for all skin types but especially beneficial for dry skin types. Made with Moroccan red clay (rhassoul) and kaolin clay. Also contains oils of Moroccan rose, sunflower, argan, coconut, shea, apricot, and olive for a nourishing and pleasant masking experience.
- Moroccan Rose Moisture Mist – Follow your cleanser with this refreshing toner mist made with Moroccan rose and aloe vera extracts to soothe the skin while also removing oil and dirt. Contains cactus flower extract (rich in linoleic acid) which helps to flush excess oil from pores. Also refreshes your skin with antioxidants from green tea extract.
- Facial Serum – After your mask, apply this indulgent Facial Serum, which contains argan oil and apricot kernel oil for light, non-greasy hydration, hyaluronic acid for natural moisture retention, and algae and sacha inchi extracts to keep skin supple.
- The Everyday Oil – Facial oil is especially beneficial for dry skin. Made with oils of jojoba, sunflower, rosehip, and apricot kernel. Hydrates and promotes a youthful glow.
Moisturize with a CBD Face Cream
As a last step, you want to seal in all of that good stuff and protect your skin with a moisturizer. We’ve got three that are good for daily facial care:
- Daily Moisturizer – Lightweight daily moisturizer suitable for all skin types. Fortified with sunflower and rosehip seed oils to provide non-greasy hydration, and with algae and sacha inchi extracts to nourish the skin.
- Brightening Eye Cream – This is a gentle eye cream for adding moisture and nutrients to the delicate eye area. Suitable for all skin types. Fortified with a rich formula of coconut and shea butter for protective hydration, along with eyebright extract to reduce dark circles and aloe vera and sacha inchi extracts to reduce puffiness.
- Night Shift – A gentle overnight cream for all skin types. Made with rich sunflower oil, shea butter, and rosehip seed oil for deep moisturizing. Also contains extracts of green tea, sacha inchi, and rosemary to nourish skin for superb hydration and youthful glow.
Care for Your Body with CBD Body Products
With your daily facial-care routine in place, you can explore our other CBD skin care products designed for the rest of the body. All of these are good for all skin types:
- CBD Body Butter – Nourishing hydration for your whole body and suitable for all skin types. These luxurious body butters are made with argan oil, shea butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter, and sunflower oil.
- Dry Body Oil – A weightless and fast-absorbing body oil spray made with nourishing argan oil, coconut oil, shea butter, sunflower oil, and olive oil.
- Body Sugar Scrub – Body sugar exfoliating scrubs are scrubs made for your whole body, gentle enough for all skin types but most beneficial for dry skin types. Made with real sugar exfoliants, and for hydration: shea butter, coconut oil, sunflower oil, and argan oil.
- CBD Massage Oil – Similar to all our other CBD skin care products, the massage oil is made with the same Superior Broad Spectrum CBD. Also formulated with skin nourishing jojoba oil, sunflower seed oil, and rosemary leaf extract. Unscented, so you can add whatever essential oils you choose for fragrance if you like.
Amp Up Your Bathing Routine with CBD Bath Products
So that covers your daily CBD skin care. But sometimes, you could use a little extra TLC, whether due to stress or simply because you want to pamper yourself. To that end, we’ve developed two CBD bath products to bring that extra something special to your bathing experience.
- CBD Bath Bombs – CBD bath bombs come in a variety of colors and scents. Made with coconut oil and Epsom salts to soothe and nourish the skin.
- CBD Bath Salts – Made in several formulas, including one for sleep, these CBD bath salts are made with Epsom Salt, Dead Sea salt, and Himalayan Pink salt with arnica extract for extra soothing benefits.
Watch This Space
This has been a brief overview of our whole CBD skin care and body care lines, but we’ll dive into the specific products in more detail. And keep an eye out for new product launches because we’re always finding new ways to bring you beautiful skin with the help of CBD! You can find our CBD skin care products on the cbdMD website and on our Botanicals website.
Originally written by: Amy Reeves