CBD Skin Care Guide with cbdMD Botanicals
At cbdMD, we’re always looking for new ways to bring the benefits of CBD to more people. That’s why we’ve created CBD oil tinctures and capsules for everyday wellness, CBD topicals to aid exercise recovery, CBD sleep aids, and even a line of CBD pet products.
But this month, we’re excited to announce that we’re entering a whole new realm: CBD skin care.
Skin is the largest organ in your body – and one of the most visible. Your skin is subjected to all kinds of stresses throughout your life, from weather, pollutants, hormones, sun exposure, and the natural aging process. So it’s not surprising that it needs a little TLC to look and feel its best.
In this guide, we'll explain how CBD can help your skin and give you a preview of our full line of products. We’ve broken it down by category and skin types to help you better understand the different types of CBD skin care products and how they’re used. Then you’ll be ready to pick out which ones work best for your skin type and lifestyle.
Why Use CBD for Skin Care?
Elsewhere on this blog, we’ve explained how CBD works by interacting with your endocannabinoid system. When you take CBD internally it affects your whole body and your brain, which can help you feel calm and relaxed. But your skin has endocannabinoid receptors too, which can respond to topical CBD products in more targeted ways.
Research on topical CBD is still in the early stages, but overall, CBD seems to help manage the immune system. The immune system is responsible for the inflammatory response that makes skin red, itchy, and/or irritated in reaction to environmental stresses. So many people who apply CBD oil to skin find it soothing.
By combining CBD with other ingredients skin loves, the benefits of CBD for skin care are even greater. We’ll be discussing some of these ingredients in depth in upcoming posts. But the key point for cbdMD Botanicals is that we keep it natural – no harsh chemicals, artificial perfumes, or dyes.
Better yet, all of our products are cruelty-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO, and only two of our products contain any kind of animal product (beeswax, to be precise). That way, we ensure that all our CBD skin care products are healthy both for you and for the planet.
How to Build a CBD Skin Care Routine
While we do have a few products for the body, most of our CBD beauty products are for the face. For your face, we recommend a twice-daily routine – every morning and evening – following a sequence like this:
Not everyone needs a pre-cleanser. It’s mostly useful for your evening regimen if you wear makeup or are exposed to excessive dirt or grease during the day. Our Rectify pre-cleanser contains safflower oil to help dissolve makeup and grease without stripping the skin of moisture. Rosemary and sunflower oils provide light hydration.
Now comes the part that everyone needs: washing your face! We have four cleansers to choose from, depending on your needs:
- Show Me Love Gentle Cleanser: This is good for all skin types, but especially for dry or sensitive skin, and contains argan oil, avocado oil, and apricot oil for extra moisture.
- Shake Shake Shake Facial Cleanser: A more exfoliating cleanser with citric acid and coconut powder to lift away dead cells and brighten skin. (We’re sorry/not sorry if you now have KC and the Sunshine Band stuck in your head!)
- Daily Dirty Charcoal Cleanser: This is the perfect cleanser if you need a really intensive cleaning, as it includes activated charcoal – that is, charcoal processed to form lots of tiny pores to make it extra absorbent.
- Clearskin Cleanser: Our Clearskin line is made specifically for oily, blemish-prone skin, so it contains more activated charcoal and green tea extract for extra astringence, along with calming turmeric.
Once you’ve taken off the dirt, makeup, and dead skin cells, your face is primed to receive some extra nutrition. We’ve got three special formulas to keep your skin glowing.
- Fab Facial Oil: Good for all skin types, with vitamins C&E, turmeric, and argan oil for hydration.
- Fountain of Youth Dynamic Serum: Good for all skin types, but especially for those of a certain age. Includes jojoba oil, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin C to reduce the appearance of aging.
- Clearskin Toner: Like the Clearskin Cleanser, this targets oil reduction. Includes turmeric, willow bark, and witch hazel to minimize pores.
For the last step, you want to seal in all that good stuff and protect your skin with a good moisturizer. We’ve got four that are good for daily facial care:
- Heavenly Hydration Facial Lotion: For all skin types, a light moisturizer with hyaluronic acid, argan oil, and apricot oil.
- Clearskin Moisture: Even oily skin needs some moisture after you’ve given it a thorough cleaning and toning. Clearskin Moisture provides light hydration enhanced with turmeric, vitamin C, and willow bark to avoid clogging pores.
- Adore Me Eye & Lip Cream: The thin skin on the lips and around the eyes can be especially vulnerable to dryness and cracking. Adore Me includes argan oil, jojoba oil, and multiple vitamins for extra nourishment.
- Renewal Night Cream: As the name implies, this is an evening-only product: a heavy CBD face cream to put on your face before bed so it can deeply nourish your skin overnight. Good for dry and mature skin.
With your daily facial-care routine in place, you can explore our other CBD skin care products designed for the rest of the body. All of these are good for all skin types:
- Body Batter Exfoliant Scrub: Refreshes and brightens your skin with coconut sugar to slough away impurities. Especially good for places where skin tends to thicken and flake, like feet, elbows, shoulders, and so on.
- Everyday Moisturizing Lotion: As the name implies, a good daily moisturizer to put on after bathing, with coconut and apricot oils.
- Mega Moisture Hands & Feet Lotion: A heavier CBD skin cream with shea butter, argan oil, and aloe vera, especially helpful as the weather gets colder and dryer.
- Luv Me Tender Soothing Lotion: Another all-over moisturizer that’s especially good for sensitive or irritated skin. It also includes aloe vera as well as oils of tea tree, lavender, and peppermint.
So that covers your daily CBD skin care. But sometimes, your face could use a little extra TLC, whether due to weather, hormones, or just normal wear and tear. To that end, we’ve developed several products for use once or twice a week, or occasionally as needed:
- Perfect Polish Micro-Exfoliant: A facial exfoliant with rice flour to lift away dead skin cells and leave your complexion looking brighter.
- Charcoal Me Charcoal Mask: A deep cleansing and detoxifying facial mask with activated charcoal and bentonite clay.
- Gorgeous Glo Rose Mask: For extra deep hydration, with rose oil, avocado oil, and bentonite clay.
- Clearskin Be Gone: A high-potency tube of tea tree oil, willow bark, and vitamin C for zapping little breakouts as soon as they appear.
And as an added bonus, we offer Tried & True Four Thieves Spray, which isn’t actually a skincare product, but will help keep your whole environment naturally clean. Based on a legendary formula used by a band of thieves in plague-ridden medieval France, it includes essential oils of rosemary, lemon, clove, cinnamon, and eucalyptus in a grain-alcohol base. Try spritzing it in the air, on your linens, in the car, or anywhere you want its unique, invigorating scent.
Watch This Space
All this week, we’ll be posting in-depth discussions of some of the prime ingredients in our CBD skin care products. All this is leading up to the big launch, and we’ll be sure to tip you off to the sales, specials, and package deals to get you started in the exciting world of CBD skin care. Stay tuned!