How Jojoba Oil Helps Hydrate Your Skin
This week we’ve been going on a tour of our favorite ingredients in our new cbdMD Botanicals line of CBD skincare products. Yesterday we looked at hyaluronic acid, which is fairly new to the skincare game. Today we’re looking at jojoba oil, which may be more familiar because it’s been on the scene since the 1970s. But do you know where it comes from and all that it can do?
In fact, jojoba oil is quite remarkable stuff, which is why we chose to use it in four different products. Let’s dive into jojoba oil uses and benefits, as well as the burning question of just what jojoba is.
Origins of Jojoba Oil
First of all, pronunciation: it’s “ho-ho-buh.” It’s a Spanish transcription of the Native American name for a shrub that grows in the desert of the southwestern U.S. and the adjoining part of Mexico.
Jojoba seeds are full of oil that is indigestible, though the Native Americans in the region gave a hint of its future use by rubbing it on sores and wounds to help them heal faster. The shrub is slow-growing, so it didn’t get a whole lot of attention from industry until the 1970s.
If you remember the 70s, you no doubt recall the “save the whales” campaigns. And they worked! Whale oil was banned in the United States, sparking a quest for alternatives.
Jojoba oil turned out to have many of the same properties as whale oil. And more to the point for our purposes, it has many of the same properties as the oil that your skin naturally produces, called sebum. So while a few people are allergic to it, most people find that it goes on the skin very well, launching a thousand skincare products.
Jojoba Oil Benefits
The newfound popularity of jojoba oil for skin care has led to some interesting research into its benefits. Some of the jojoba oil benefits for skin include:
- It’s a humectant, which means that it helps you retain the moisture that’s already in your skin. This can help prevent the drying of skin that comes from the elements or from age, keeping it looking fresh.
- It’s got vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant to your skin. You’ve probably heard about the benefits of antioxidants in foods to help you live longer; well, antioxidants applied to the skin similarly help prevent stresses from pollutants and toxins that can make you look old prematurely.
- As mentioned earlier, jojoba oil strongly resembles your own natural sebum. This means that allergic reactions to it are rare, and it’s also non-comedogenic – that is, it doesn’t cause acne even if you’re prone to it. Using it may also reduce the amount of sebum your skin itself produces, which is often in response to irritation and dryness.
- It appears to have some antimicrobial properties, which can help fend off things like fungal infections.
cbdMD Botanicals Products with Jojoba Oil
All these jojoba oil benefits have made it a prime ingredient in our natural skincare products. We’ve combined the power of jojoba oil and CBD in crafting four skin-nourishing products:
- Fountain of Youth Dynamic Serum: This magic elixir combines jojoba oil with hyaluronic acid (as we described yesterday) and vitamin C to bring maximum strength to fight oxidative stress and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Fab Facial Oil: This antioxidant powerhouse rehydrates the face after washing, with vitamins C & E, turmeric, and argan oil (which we will discuss in an upcoming post).
- Adore Me Eye & Lip Cream: Made to nourish the delicate skin on the lips and around the eyes, where those fine lines tend to first appear, this cream also includes argan oil and multiple vitamins.
- Clearskin Moisture: That non-comedogenic aspect of jojoba oil comes in handy with our moisturizer for oily, blemish-prone skin. It includes turmeric, willow bark, and vitamin C to provide non-irritating, non-greasy moisture.
There's More to Come
Keep following this blog for more details on these and other products in our cbdMD Botanicals line. We’ve worked hard to develop fabulous, pampering products you’ll love, and we can’t wait to tell you more!