Many pet parents are either using or considering using CBD pet calming products to help the pets they love to live calmer, happier lives. If you are still on the fence about it, you may be wondering about the benefits of CBD for pets. Let’s take a look at CBD for cats, CBD for dogs, and CBD oil for pets in general, so that you know a little more about the calming support they can offer your beloved pets. We will also look at some of the reasons you may want to include CBD calming support for your pets, and what kinds of situations may warrant this beneficial option.
Why Might a Cat or Dog Need CBD Pet Calming Products?
It can be a little difficult to tell if your dog or cat feels anxious, stressed, or uncomfortable – perhaps their behavior just seems like a part of their personality, or maybe you are unsure what to look for exactly. They cannot speak but may communicate in other ways they need a little help to be calmer.
Cats and dogs are very different in their behavior, so let’s take a look at both to see what some of those signs look like that indicate a pet could use some calming support.
Dogs in Distress
- Exhibiting signs of fear or phobia, such as fear of thunderstorms or water/bath time
- Shaking or trembling and “jumpiness” at sounds or stimuli
- Tail down/tucked, hackles up, ears laid back (nervous body language)
- Pacing the floor, restlessness, appearing to be bored
- Heightened reactivity to sounds that seems to be affecting their ability to relax
- Scratching, chewing, biting an area of their skin or their feet and claws
- Changes in appetite (may affect their weight)
- Inability to sleep well
- Excessive whining or barking
- Tail-chasing or circling that does not appear to be playful behavior
- Excessive drooling or yawning
- Changes in potty functions—having to urinate or defecate more or less often than normal, changes in the texture of defecation
- Don’t like being left alone
Cats in Distress
- Being more withdrawn and hiding
- Changes in appetite
- Having difficulty sleeping
- Refusing to use the litter box
- Yowling or vocalizing a lot more than normal
- Avoiding affection or sitting on your lap
- Avoiding the floor and trying to find places up high to sit or sleep
- Jumping or startling easily
- Scratching or biting at their skin, excessive licking
- Hissing and growling when people or other animals come near them
- Weight loss
- Crouching down and having wide, fearful eyes
- Listlessness or loss of interest in things they usually enjoy
- Aggressive behavior
Why Choose CBD Calming Product Options?
There are many calming options you can try for your pet, including reducing stressors in their environment and providing a safe space for your pet to relax. CBD pet calming products can be a viable addition to those stress-reducing measures to help provide the support your pet needs. In general, CBD products may help, but fortunately there are also special calming formulas designed for this particular need in your pet.
What Makes the Calming Formulas Different?
The CBD pet calming formulas contain melatonin, a natural hormone, and popular sleep aid, providing the specialized support your pet needs to feel calmer, relax, and rest better. Other ingredients such as valerian root, passionflower, lemon balm, and chamomile help to soothe your pet.
How Can You Tell if the CBD is Working for Your Pet?
When you begin your pet on a CBD oil for pets daily regimen, you will start slowly, observe their behavior, and then adjust the amount you give them based on your pet’s response.
CBD oil products have few, if any, unintended reactions, but when you first introduce them to your pets, you’ll need to watch for dry mouth or maybe some nausea. You can reduce the amount by a few drops to give your pet some time to adjust to the new addition. Then, you can gradually increase the amount until you find the optimum measurement for your pet.
Each pet is different in how they respond and how quickly they adjust, but generally speaking, these products are well-received and offer noticeable benefits. It takes two to three weeks before you can make a full assessment of your pet’s response to the CBD and other beneficial ingredients.
Benefits of CBD for Pets
- Helps to promote an overall better quality of life
- Supports a sense of calm
- Helps to manage signs of daily stress
- Complements your pet’s daily wellness routine
Using CBD Oil Products as Part of a Healthy Lifestyle for Your Pets
CBD oil is part of an overall care system to help your pet to have a better quality of life. Any product you give your pet will optimally work when you provide wellness care in all areas of your pet’s life. It’s a whole-body and mind approach that gives your pet the best care you can provide while supporting your pet with the love they need from you.
Your pet needs regular veterinary care to keep them healthy. Your pet’s veterinarian will provide wellness check-ups (twice a year), help you keep your pet free from parasites and disease, and advise on proper pet care. Take your pet to the vet regularly, not just when they are sick or injured. Develop a close, working relationship with your pet’s veterinarian, so you have that professional support system and a reliable source for information.
Your pet’s veterinary visits will address:
- Oral care
- Prevention, early detection of, and treatment for disease
- Behavioral issues (including those from stress, trauma, or fear)
- Healthy lifestyle
- Breed and age-specific pet care
- Treat injuries or ailments
Diet & Exercise
Pets who eat less and eat more healthfully actually live longer; your pet’s diet is just as important to their health as your diet is to your health. You know the old adage “you are what you eat?” It is also true for your pets. Many commercial foods for dogs and cats contain meat by-products, fillers, and all kinds of dyes and synthetic flavorings.
Daily exercise, variable by breed and size, is also a crucial part of caring for your pet and keeping them healthy. Exercise is also calming for your pet as it helps your dog or cat create hormones and provide natural calming benefits. If your pet is stressed out, get them active and playful a little each day!
While you are visiting with your pet’s veterinarian, ask them about a healthy diet and exercise plan for your pet. They can help you identify ways to incorporate wellness choices for your pets, tailor your pet’s exercise routine to match their needs, and improve the kinds of food you are offering your pet.
Affection & Attention
One of the most calming things you can do for your pet is to offer gentle affection and attention if they are receptive to it. Pets have physical and emotional needs, just as we do, as well as boundaries and physical space requirements. Some pets seem to have very little personal space and are always up in yours. For others, there’s a balance of time spent on their own, curled up and sleeping or playing, and time they want with you, snuggled in your lap or initiating play.
If you feel your pet is stressed or showing signs of fear and discomfort, you can offer them some affection to see how they will respond.
Calming Your Pet: Soothing Affection Techniques
- Approach your pet gently and speak to them in a calming voice.
- Offer your hand, palm down, to see if your pet shies away from it or expresses interest.
- Allow your pet to initiate more attention from you by nudging your hand, licking your fingers, or advancing in a playful, relaxed, or affectionate way. For dogs, their ears will perk up, eyes will brighten, and they give you their attention. They may paw at your hand or try to get you to pet them. These are all positive signs that they are welcome to your affections. For cats: They will perk up a bit, sniff your hand, and may partially close their eyes in a relaxed way while nosing your hand for affection. These are signs your cat is relaxing and in the mood for some lap time. If you pick up your cat, and they fight to get away, place them gently on the floor and give them the security they need.
- Once you have established interest, spend time with your pet, petting them gently or brushing their hair (whatever they find soothing) or playing with your pet if they feel playful. Make sure this time is based on what makes your pet feel better, improves their mood, or helps to disrupt their stress-behaviors.
- Pay attention to your pet’s body language and demeanor. When they need space from you, they will show signs of losing interest or may simply walk away from you or go to their bed to lie down. Allow your pet this time to gather themselves, rest, or take a nap.
- A stressed pet does not need to be forced into things that make them uncomfortable or fearful. Simply inviting safe, affectionate time can let your pet know that you are there for them when they need comforting or some cuddle time.
CBD Pet Calming Products for Your Pet
There are a variety of CBD options for your pet that can also help to provide support. Specifically, for pets that need help to calm down, relax, or require mood support, some of these CBD options are specialized to offer targeted care for your pet’s individual needs.
CBD for Dogs
Many dog parents who are interested in CBD oil for their dogs ask two questions: “Does CBD oil calm your dog?” and “Is CBD safe for dogs?” Both of these are reasonable questions you should be asking. At cbdMD, we believe the benefits of CBD for your pets are just as important as the benefits of CBD for yourself, so we put the same effort into creating products with expert care and careful selection of all our ingredients for your precious pets. We know you want the best for them, and so do we.
Why Our CBD Products for Pets Are Top-of-the-Line
Our CBD pet calming products are:
- Veterinarian formulated
- Formulated with Superior Broad Spectrum CBD hemp extracts (cannabidiol, cannabinol, cannabigerol) and terpenes
- Use plastic droppers for your pet’s safety
- Use natural flavorings your pet will love (blueberry for dogs and catnip for cats)
CBD Calming Support for Your Dogs
We have several pet-calming formulations for your dogs. Our CBD Oil Calming Tinctures with melatonin, valerian root, and chamomile come in 250 mg and 500 mg strengths, which can be useful alone or in conjunction with CBD Calming Chews for additional supportive treats your pet will love.
CBD for Cats
Let’s not forget about cat parents! Cats can use a little calming support, too. Maybe they have issues with stress, or maybe their behavior is a bit more “outside cat” than you would prefer. When dissatisfied, stressed, or overstimulated, cats can wreak havoc in your home and certainly on your furniture. Cats are naturally playful but also enjoy lots of relaxing naps throughout the day. If your cat is demonstrating stress behaviors or seems to be on edge all the time, perhaps CBD calming products for cats could be the very thing to help keep your cat more chill.
CBD Calming Support for Your Cats
CBD tinctures for your cats come in 150 mg and 300 mg strengths and can be useful in conjunction with CBD Soft Chews for Cats to offer a tasty treat and additional support for your feline friends. They’ll love the chickens and catnip flavors (yes, even your picky eaters!).
CBD Calming Products Win – for Your Pets
You can do other things to create a well-balanced, daily regimen for your dogs and cats to help them be more healthy, comfortable, and secure while they focus on the business of loving you. When it comes to your pets, each way that offers them a happier life is worth your time and energy. After all, they give so much to us every day and add so much joy to our lives. Why not do the same for them? CBD pet calming products with melatonin and other supportive ingredients are wonderful ways to help your pets live a more relaxed and balanced lifestyle.