How to Make Homemade CBD Oil Dog Treats
If you’ve already made CBD oil part of your dog’s daily routine, you know it’s a great way to support their overall wellbeing. Maybe you add CBD oil to their food or buy CBD dog treats for an easy, tasty snack.
But even if you’ve found treats you and your dog are happy with, there’s another option you might not have considered: You can make your own homemade dog treats with CBD oil.
And no, you don’t have to be a whiz in the kitchen! You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make CBD dog treats at home. We’ve pulled together some quick tips to get you started and four tasty, tail-wagging recipes that are fun to make and will have your best friend sitting up and begging for more!
Tips for Making CBD Dog Treats
Before you put on your apron and pull out the mixing bowls, it’s important to know a few things about making dog treats with CBD oil.
Choosing the Right CBD Oil
While it might be tempting to use the same CBD oil you use, anything you give your pets should be made specifically for them and veterinarian-formulated with only pure, safe ingredients. Look for CBD oil that uses only domestic industrial hemp and is third-party tested to ensure safety and effectiveness.
You can also add a little extra special touch using different flavors of CBD oil in your CBD dog treat recipes. Does your dog go nuts for peanut butter? Or do the happy dance for sweet, fruity blueberries? Get creative with the flavor your canine companion loves best!
How Much CBD Oil to Use
When using CBD oil in recipes, carefully follow the suggested serving amounts on the packaging, which should clearly list how many milligrams of CBD is in each serving size, not just in the whole product. Then do your math based on the overall recipe to add the appropriate amount.
If you ever use a recipe that does not specifically list the amount of CBD oil to use, use this simple formula: Total recipe servings x desired amount of CBD per serving = total amount of CBD used for the recipe. (For example, if a recipe makes 8 servings and you want each one to contain 10 mg of CBD, you’ll need to use 80 mg of CBD.)
Baking with CBD Oil
The details of cooking with CBD oil depend partly on what oil is used as the medium for the CBD. cbdMD uses MCT oil, which is good for low- to mid-temperature cooking. If you're making baked dog treats with CBD oil, it's ideal to keep the baking temperature at or below 350℉ to maintain its potency.
Note that since CBD oil can be sensitive to heat and light, you should always store any leftover baked goods in an airtight container in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator. Most recipes will be good for up to one week unless otherwise indicated.
CBD Oil Dog Treat Recipes
Now that you know the basics of working with CBD oil in dog treats let’s have some fun! We’ve pulled together four tasty, tempting treats your dog will do tricks for. We’ve even given you four options to choose from (baked, no-bake, frozen, and peanut butter), so you’re sure to find something even the pickiest pooch will love!
Baked Sweet Potato & Coconut Oil CBD Dog Treats
Sweet potatoes provide dogs with vital nutrients, fiber, and vitamins in this easy baked CBD dog treat recipe, while the coconut oil promotes healthy skin and coat, improves digestion, and reduces allergic reactions.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked and cooled
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut oil (or you can use bacon grease)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Paw CBD Oil (Natural Flavor)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Mash the sweet potatoes and mix with remaining ingredients until well combined
- Add extra coconut flour if needed to achieve a doughy consistency
- Shape mixture into one-inch-diameter balls and then flatten the balls with a spoon or by hand
- Space flattened balls evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake 18-20 minutes
- Remove and let cool before serving or storing in an airtight container in the fridge
No-Bake Pumpkin & Turmeric CBD Dog Treats
Pumpkin is a powerhouse of essential vitamins and minerals (like vitamin A, potassium, vitamin C, and iron) and aids digestion and hydration, and turmeric adds an antioxidant kick, fights inflammation, and boosts the immune system.
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Paw CBD Oil (Natural Flavor)
- A crack of black pepper
- Mix everything except rolled oats in a bowl and mix well
- Add the rolled oats, adding more or less until consistency of cookie dough
- Use cookie or melon scooper or roll dough into small balls
- Space evenly on parchment-lined cookie sheet
- Put in the fridge until hard (about 15 minutes)
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to two weeks
Frozen Blueberry & Coconut Oil CBD Dog Treats
Blueberries are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, while coconut oil is great for skin and coats, digestion, and helps reduce allergic reactions.
- ½ cup coconut oil in solid form
- Paw CBD Oil (Natural Flavor) or Paw CBD Calming Oil (Blueberry Flavor)
- Frozen blueberries
- Start with a silicone mold (try a fun shape!) and put one frozen blueberry into each opening
- Set mold aside
- Place coconut oil in a small saucepan and heat until liquid
- Once the coconut oil has cooled for a few minutes, carefully pour over frozen blueberries in mold
- Add a drop (not dropper full) of CBD oil into each treat
- Put the mold into the freezer until solid
- Once frozen, pop the treats out of the mold
- Store any leftover treats in the freezer in an airtight container
CBD Peanut Butter & Pumpkin CBD Dog Treats
Oatmeal is full of healthy vitamin B5 and B9, linoleic acid, biotin, and fiber, all of which can help maintain healthy skin, coat, and digestion, while peanut butter provides fiber, protein, healthy fats, and nutrients.
- ¼ cup Paw CBD Peanut Butter
- 1 cup oats (old-fashioned, quick-cook, or instant)
- ⅓ cup pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
- Preheat oven to 300℉
- Set mold aside
- Add oats to food processor and grind to desired texture or use whole oats for chunkier treats
- Combine oats, pumpkin, and peanut butter into a sticky dough
- Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut into squares (or use cookie cutters for fun shapes!)
- Place on a nonstick or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes (until the treats are dry and hard)
- Let cool before serving
- Store leftovers in an airtight container
(HINT: If you don’t have Paw CBD Peanut Butter, just add 1 tsp of peanut butter-flavored Paw CBD Oil to regular peanut butter.)
CBD Makes for Great Treats for Your Good Dog!
Now that you know how to make nutritious, delicious homemade CBD oil dog treats; you’re sure to please your pup with one (or even all!) of these super easy recipes! They will love the tasty treats, and you’ll love knowing that they’re full of wholesome, natural ingredients, and the added powerful properties of CBD.
About Paw CBD by cbdMD
Paw CBD was created by cbdMD to offer a comprehensive, veterinarian-formulated selection of CBD products for pets, made with premium hemp grown in the USA. You can learn more about the full lineup of flavored and natural tinctures, baked and soft chews, creamy peanut butter, soothing balm, and specialty formulas for both cats and dogs at www.pawcbd.com.
Disclaimer: Any information provided should not be considered or treated as medical advice; always consult a veterinarian before changing your pet’s health regimen. Products and information mentioned are not intended to be used as a substitute for medical diagnosis, advice, or treatment. Any links to third-party websites are provided as a convenience only and Paw CBD is not responsible for their content.