“THC-free” CBD goes by the name of broad spectrum CBD. It provides the same array of cannabinoids, but without including the tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC. For CBD users who need to avoid the THC, broad spectrum is the perfect solution. And you may be surprised to know this doesn’t mean it’s less effective or a weaker product.
Today, we’re taking a look at THC-free CBD oil, what that means, and how you can use these formulas to enhance your health, your sleep, and most importantly, your quality of life.
Plus, we’ll address the elephant in the cannabis room – will THC-free CBD make you fail a drug test?
What Is Broad Spectrum THC-Free CBD?
As you may know, CBD and other cannabinoids are extracted from cannabis plants and put into a carrier oil, producing what we call CBD oil. These formulas are widely varied, some containing the psychogenic cannabinoid tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC for short. This cannabinoid is the one responsible for the high feeling associated with marijuana and high-content THC products.
Let’s take a quick look at the THC and why some people need to avoid it.
- Some people are sensitive to THC’s effects. While most users find that THC enhances the benefits of CBD, a few have negative reactions and thus switch to broad spectrum CBD oil as a way to avoid those effects.
- Some people are not allowed to consume THC while on their jobs or as part of a particular organization. Some organizations will permit the use of THC-free CBD oils, thus the need for broad spectrum CBD oil products.
- Some people simply don’t trust THC. They feel it’s too like marijuana and they steer away from it. It’s OK, we’re not here to judge your heart-felt opinion on the matter, but we’ve made THC-free CBD oil to help settle your mind when using CBD products for your health.
- Your doc may decide CBD’s OK for you, but for some reason would prefer for you to take the THC-free kind.
What Does “THC-Free” CBD Mean?
This means that the THC isn’t selected in the extraction process. It’s not a part of the finished formula. (Not in the “recipe” for that CBD product.)
This does not mean it was not present at all in the hemp that was used for extraction. Does this mean that minute traces of THC may slip through in production? Absolutely. To rectify this we test with highly sensitive equipment to ensure that THC is non-detectible. THC must be non-detectable in testing for it to be considered THC-free.
Did you know?
cbdMD was the first CBD company to have their products (certain THC-free ones, of course) to pass the rigorous standards for NSF International’s Certified for Sport® Certification? This is an impressive demonstration of cbdMD's commitment to providing THC-free products for those that need them.
Benefits of Using THC-Free CBD Oil
Now that we’ve considered why some folks avoid the THC, let’s take a look at how broad spectrum CBD, the THC-free kind, affects you. Is it less helpful than the kind with THC in it? Will broad spectrum still help you sleep? There are lots of questions, so let’s see if we can answer those as simply and straightforwardly as possible.
Benefits of Going THC-Free
Whether you are brand new to CBD and want to ease your way into using products with THC in them (by starting out on THC-free CBD products) or whether you are switching away from the full spectrum products to our THC-free ones, you need to know that the benefits are still impressive, even without the THC.
- THC-free broad spectrum will still help you feel more calm. They are a little less calming than their full spectrum cousins, but a high potency broad spectrum CBD product is still quite effective to help you feel that CBD calm you want.
- THC-free broad spectrum will also support your sleep. Some broad spectrum sleep aids include natural melatonin to assist you in falling asleep.
- Broad spectrum still delivers a wide cannabis plant profile to support your health and wellness, including flavonoids and terpenes.
- Avoids unwanted THC effects (particularly for THC-sensitive people).
Pro tip: Check the broad spectrum formula for any product you choose to see what other supportive botanicals may be included. You may see other cannabinoids like CBN, CBG, or others, but not THC or anything like “Delta 9” or “Delta 8” in the formula. Remember, there are lots of different cannabinoids and they all play a role in your health and wellness CBD profile, even if you can’t use THC.
How Does THC-Free CBD Make You Feel?
The biggest question we get about our broad spectrum products is — How do they make you feel?
Basically, people want to know if these products make them feel the same way or different from the same strengths of full spectrum products.
This depends on your sensitivity to THC. If you are highly sensitive to THC you may feel out of sorts on full spectrum products, and this clears up for you when you switch to broad spectrum CBD products.
Because there are no psychogenic molecules in a broad spectrum formula, there’s nothing there to make you feel woozy, tired, or “too laid back.” Most people simply feel better and more calm.
What About Drug Testing?
Another huge question: Will broad spectrum CBD products or THC-free CBD products make me fail a drug test?
Another question with a little gray area of “it depends.” Typically, no, they won’t make you fail a drug test as many drug tests are testing for the THC. This is excellent news for THC-free CBD users and gives peace of mind. Our testing standards have improved, as well, because we want THC-free to mean exactly that. For most people, THC-free CBD products are the answer to those drug-testing worries.
Now, if you’re taking some amplified test that checks for any and all parts of the cannabis plant, then it’s possible to throw a positive result. So, it depends on your situation and how rigorous testing standards are for your organization.
It also depends on whether you are using your THC-free products correctly. Take recommended amounts.
If you supplement with any other CBD products (like gummies) and they have THC in them, then certainly you may throw a positive drug test result.
Best THC-Free CBD
Now, you may want to know the best THC-free CBD for your needs. Here are some of the top choices cbdMD has to offer:
- Broad Spectrum CBD Oil Tincture
- Broad Spectrum CBD Oil Tincture for Sleep
- Broad Spectrum CBD Oil Gummies
- Broad Spectrum Calming CBD Oil Gummies
- Broad Spectrum Sleep Aid Gummies
To Learn More
cbdMD’s blog covers topics like THC-free CBD oil and others to help you along your CBD journey. For more information on the best THC-free CBD products you can buy and to stay on top of new CBD releases, follow the blog and sign up for cbdMD’s emails.