What Is Delta 9 THC?
When it comes to THC, there are several different varieties based on how the molecules are structured. Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or Delta 9 for short, is extracted from the Cannabis sativa plant, whereas Delta 8 can come from Cannabis sativa or from hemp, and the two differ a little in structure. But what’s important to you as a consumer is how Delta 9 makes you feel, and the potential Delta 9 THC benefits to you if combined with a CBD product you want to use.
Today, we’ll take a look at Delta 9, where it comes from and how it’s sourced, and what potential health and wellness benefits you could get from using a CBD product with Delta 9 THC included in the formulation.
- What is Delta 9 THC | Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol?
- Where does Delta 9 come from?
- What makes Delta 9 different from other Cannabis sativa components?
- How does Delta 9 THC make you feel?
- What are the potential benefits of Delta 9 with CBD?
- Where can you find Delta 9 THC?
Sourcing Delta 9 THC for CBD Oil Products
Delta 9 is the most abundant THC found in Cannabis sativa, making it a hot topic in the cannabis industry. Since some states have been deregulating marijuana use, Delta 9 has gotten more popular as people seek out the health and wellness benefits of cannabis components. More frequently, people are interested in having THC in their CBD products and have questions about the difference between Delta 8 THC and Delta 9 THC.
What Makes Delta 9 Different?
Delta 9 is the component in cannabis that gives that psychogenic “high” feeling associated with marijuana, more so than the Delta 8, which is sometimes called “Diet Delta 9,” though the structural difference between the two comes down to the placement of a double bond (at the ninth chain for Delta 9 and the eighth chain for Delta 8.)
Delta 9 vs Delta 8 THC
Here are some of the most notable differences between Delta 9 and Delta 8:
- Slightly different molecular structure – this creates a significant difference when it comes to the effects.
- Because Delta 9 is more abundant than Delta 8 in cannabis, it is easier and less costly to produce and extract. Because Delta 8 is less abundant, concentrated amounts of Delta-8 THC are typically manufactured from hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD). There are some concerns over the “benefits vs risks” of Delta 8. At this time, cbdMD does not produce any CBD + Delta 8 products.
- Delta 9 creates a slightly more potent psychoactive effect.
- Both Delta 9 and Delta 8 THC are regulated in CBD products, down to a level of .03 percent, which is too low to produce that psychogenic high feeling.
- There are differences in legality. Check your state’s laws to see if either of these components are banned in CBD products. This site may help you get started on this research.
- Each has slightly different health and wellness benefits, though research into this is ongoing and, at present, thin.
- Both Delta 9 and Delta 8 have similar side effects – ranging from mild nausea to drowsiness to diarrhea.
Using Delta 9 in CBD Products
Delta 9 and Delta 8 are both regulated and share similar benefits, but the concerns for each are a bit different. For Delta 8 it is less about the psychoactive properties of the THC and more about the extraction and production process.
For Delta 9 it has more to do with the psychoactive effects, which may be more of an issue for marijuana smokers (a greater and longer lasting high may lend more to addictive behaviors) than for CBD users who are consuming a remarkably lower amount of THC in CBD products.
Because Delta 9 is potentially more effective as a relaxant, it is becoming more of a focus for CBD manufacturers who seek the most calming products with the least amount of negative effects, like the “high” feeling. Hemp derived CBD products will have on the labeling whether or not a CBD product has THC but you may have to contact the manufacturer if you want to know if it is Delta-8 THC or Delta-9 THC and what other phytocannabinoids are included in the CBD formulation.
Combining Delta 9 THC with cannabidiol (CBD) means that in one product you can get CBD benefits along with the benefits offered by the THC. For some, this combination may help deliver more calm and better sleep, among other overall wellness benefits. Combining multiple phytocannabinoids in a CBD product helps provide what we call an entourage effect.
Though the entourage effect is highly debated, the theory is that phytocannabinoids synthesize a greater response than when used individually, and that they balance the psychoactive effects of THC, leaving you with the beneficial effects of the THC, whether Delta 9 THC or some other variant. What sets apart the Delta 9 version is its potency and ease of extraction.
What to Look For in a Delta 9 CBD Product
When it comes to Delta 9 in a CBD product, you need to vet the manufacturer much like you would for any other CBD product. These products are legally regulated as far as THC content, transport, availability, and distribution, etc. but not necessarily for quality, safety, or efficacy. Finding a reputable source often falls on the consumers. And, of course, on the manufacturer to test their products thoroughly and to provide transparency for the consumer.
If you want to try the more potent form of Delta 9 THC, you’ll first have to find a manufacturer that creates it in oil form along with CBD and other cannabinoids, then thoroughly check out the companies to look for any red flags. Here are some of the things you may want to look for in a CBD company that provides quality CBD + Delta 9 THC products:
- Some CBD sellers are third party. When possible, get your CBD products directly from the manufacturer that makes them.
Or, at least, know who makes it. Some third party vendors may be local vendors you want to support! Just be aware of where the product originates.
- Look for ISO-certified lab testing on each batch of product. This ensures consistency and quality.
- Look for USA-grown Cannabis sativa or industrial hemp plants. You’ll want reputable growers!
- Look for healthy ingredients, company policies on animal testing, or whether or not they use animal products.
- Check the ingredients lists to see if there are potentially harmful chemicals or preservatives.
- Check the company’s reputation and most definitely read as many reviews as you can.
Potential Benefits of Delta 9 THC
Delta 9 THC and other forms of THC have some benefits for CBD users, though the more potent Delta-9 may be warranted for consumers that need more of the relaxing effect from THC. Also, some users of cannabis derived products may find that they prefer the CBD without any form of THC at all due to a sensitivity to THC, regardless of the type of THC.
How Does Delta 9 Make You Feel?
For cannabis users, Delta 9 intensity is much different than that of CBD users who take an internal oil with THC included in the formulation.
It does not create the “high” feeling associated with marijuana use due to the low THC content in CBD products, but for some users, it brings a more relaxed feeling, deeper sleep, and less mood disruptions.
Some users report that it helps with appetite, though research to show that this is possible with such low THC amounts is thin, at best. Anecdotal evidence of this is what we have to go on until there is more thorough scientific lab testing to show all of the Delta 9 THC benefits when used in a CBD formula.
The Future of Delta 9 for the CBD Industry (And for You)
Here at cbdMD, we have one focus: providing the best CBD products for your improved health and wellness. We’ve combined CBD in multiple ways with multiple product types and strengths, and in combination with a host of other ingredients.
We have some for sleep, relaxation, improved mood or concentration, and even some with ACV. It’s our goal to improve your health and wellness, and ultimately your quality of life. And to do this safely.
So, while we do not currently offer any Delta-8 CBD products or any Delta-9 with our CBD formulations, both are on our radar. We are specifically interested in the greater calm offered by Delta 9 THC. We will not include them without assuring they meet our high manufacturing standards, our health and wellness initiatives, and our exemplary quality standards. If you want to stay abreast of our latest research and informational materials on Delta 9 THC, CBD, and other phytocannabinoids, you can follow the blog at cbdMD.